Type 1 Error in Hypothesis Testing

Type 1 error occurs when 'we declare an innocent as guilty'.

By default, null hypothesis supports a homogeneous distribution and a no effect property. To reject a null hypothesis, requires a fair amount of certainty.

If a null hypothesis is actually true, but our result shows otherwise i.e. we reject the null hypothesis, that leads to committing a Type 1 error.

The impact of this error depends on the cost associated with committing one. For example, suppose I am shopping from a store which has only good apples, I believe that a particular apple is bad and hence I replace it from my bag. Here I have committed a Type-1 error but it's not going to cost me since the replacement apple too, is good. Here, the type 1 error is not harmful at all.

On the other hand, this error would have been too costly, if the lot has many bad apples and we remove a good apple from our bag thinking it to be bad.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Analysis of Variance (ANOVA)

SMOTE for oversampling minority class in an Imbalanced Dataset

Precision, Recall and Accuracy for Classification models